Director of Food and Beverage
The Peace Center for the Performing Arts is the cultural hub of downtown Greenville, SC. The organization seeks a Director of Food and Beverage to join the senior leadership during an exciting period of growth and innovation. This individual will be charged with expanding the services and income associated with the food and beverage operation, including the enhancement and expansion of event rentals.
About the Peace Center
With a 2,100-seat concert hall; a 400-seat theatre; an amphitheater; a dedicated patrons’ lounge; and a variety of indoor and outdoor meeting, rehearsal, and event spaces, the Peace Center is the major performing arts attraction in South Carolina. Built on a six-acre campus, with an energetic mix of leading-edge architecture and historic preservation, the campus is at the hub of Greenville’s nationally-recognized downtown.
The Peace Center was founded in 1990. It has a $20-million-plus operating budget, and 87% of its revenue is earned. There are 55 full-time staff members employed by the center. Each performance space is architecturally and acoustically remarkable. Classical, dance, jazz, country, bluegrass, folk, pop, and comedy performers, as well as a full calendar of top Broadway shows, are presented on the Peace Center’s stages. Several of Greenville’s excellent performing arts organizations are resident companies. These include Carolina Ballet Theatre, Greenville Chorale, Greenville County Youth Orchestras, Greenville Symphony Orchestra, International Ballet, and South Carolina Children’s Theater.
The Peace Center’s next major initiative, in addition to an enhanced community engagement program, is further development of the buildings and grounds within its 6-acre campus.
The Director of Food and Beverage is a new position charged with increasing earned income from existing food and beverage activities and creating new food and beverage opportunities campus wide. This individual must be a results-driven professional with the creative, strategic, and tactical skills to envision new opportunities, develop plans and bring them to fruition. The Director will work collaboratively with programming, operations, marketing, community impact, development and finance, serving as the food and beverage subject matter expert for the entire organization.
- Responsible for revenue generation strategy across all food and beverage activities including intermission bars, pre-performance dining, and event rentals.
- Responsible for management of the profit and loss statement related to all food and beverage activities.
- Will develop and implement strategies and tactics to increase utilization and the profitability of facility rentals, intermission bars, and pre-performance dining.
- Will collaborate with the marketing department to develop marketing strategy and tactics to promote and develop the Peace Center event rental activities.
- Will manage the event sales team of three ensuring sales targets are met and/or exceeded.
- Will manage the event sales team to ensure that events are implemented with the highest level of service.
- Will recruit, hire and manage all food and beverage staff, with a commitment to outstanding services and best practices within the industry.
- Will take the lead on ensuring event spaces are of the highest caliber, remain competitive in the marketplace and maintained accordingly.
- Will evaluate and, as necessary, create new systems and processes to manage and improve the event sales process.
- Will conceive, research, propose and initiate new food and beverage outlets or offerings such as pop-up outlets, kiosks or programmatic food and beverage events.
- Will manage the bar program and liquor services offered at the Peace Center including oversight of offerings, pricing, staff training and operations.
- Will manage the use of Genevieve’s, the Peace Center’s donor’s lounge, to maximize earned income to the facility, generate heavier usage of this underutilized asset, and further promote this space to address the Peace Center’s mission-centric community goals.
- Will manage vendors and relationships including caterers, beverage distributors, rental companies, AV companies, etc.
- Will develop annual budgets for all food and beverage and event rental activities with appropriate cost structure, targets and goals.
- Will ensure that all food and beverage activities on campus reflect the highest quality and service level and are consistent with the Peace Center brand.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum of ten years’ experience in the food/beverage and events industry; experience with a non-profit arts organization a plus
- Prior experience managing a staff of full and part time individuals
- Strong financial analytical skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The highest standard of excellence in all industry related areas
- Customer service centric